Thursday, March 14, 2013

Spring?

Well, it is certainly not spring here, by any definition. Our weekend plans were interrupted by the cold weather. We have adjusted to being able to go out and do things when it's freezing out. However, we have to draw the line at subfreezing with winds around 30 mph.

So, last weekend we didn't do too much. We did head out to the Round Tower. It's very Rapunzel, so Raegan enjoyed it. You walk up a winding slanted ramp in the tower (below) to the top where you get fantastic vews of the city.  


Ron and I are also on a mission to try any restaurant claiming to be Mexican. We were really excited about trying the one we went to on Sat, given reviews of how authentic it was. We ordered the recommended burritos. They were good but it was basically a (small) Chipolte burrito, which is good, but not what we really were after. No chips and salsa, etc. We did order some plantains as an appetizer and got about 6 little plantains for $10. We ordered the kids each a taco and I'm not kidding you they were so small, before folding them in half they fit in the palm of my hand (I think they were like $8 each). Ha. So, while the burritos we got were pretty good, we probably won't frequent there and will continue our search.

So, back to the cold weather. I will now get to enjoy watching the ice melt on the duck ponds again. It has been below freezing since Fri or Sat I think so things are re-frozen. As I said the winds were terrible, until about Tuesday. I woke up Monday to run and looked on my phone and it was 21 degrees, wind chill of 5. I was thinking about curling back up to bed but then heard the kids stirring and realized that the 30-45 min to myself in the mornings is very valuable to me and I was willing to put on an extra thermal and brave the weather. It wasn't too bad, I was only half frozen when I got back. At least the wind is gone. Today I woke up and it was 25 degrees and a wind chill of 20. Since it's been several days of super cold, I actually thought - Well, that's not too bad today. ...I guess you have to adapt!  We woke to lots of snow yesterday - I would say probably 3 inches. This was exciting for us (and Baxter). This is what the duck ponds look like as of this morning:


No comments:

Post a Comment